Although the biggest news is, of course, Mouri Motonari's Sengoku Basara 4 debut, that doesn't mean that the rest of the magazine is lacking in information. I'm trying to dig out a few rumours without completely ruining the magazine for myself, so it's a little tough. My copy won't arrive for a while!
Here's what I've seen people talking about so far. I'll add to this list in the morning when I wake up.
- Amazon removed their picture of the real magazine cover before the magazine was released, trying to preserve the surprise. It was a little too late by that time.
- Shikanosuke will have an Anime Route in Sengoku Creation Mode as well. (Note: It's starting to look as though all of the completely new characters will.)
- Someone noted that Nobunaga is looking for Ranmaru and Nouhime in the game - they're missing. (Note: I guess that means they're officially in the storyline, at least, and hopefully appear in cutscenes this time?)
- He goes to the land of the dead and joins up with the King of Six Demons (Rokuma No Ou).
- This also has links to Oichi's dark hands. Her ability to use them in this game is due to Nobunaga.
- Tsuruhime is tricked again.
- Update: And this time, it's described as an 'amazing' trick. Someone on 2ch wondered whether the voice of 'Himiko' she heard in her story introduction might actually be a ruse by Motonari, while another person suggested it could be the Xavists. (Note: The folks over at Koei Warriors were joking about it being Gyoubu a while ago too.)
- Update: Due to obeying the voice of 'Himiko', Tsuruhime does some things she wouldn't normally have considered.
- Motonari is shown in a cutscene with Sourin.
- The Xavist jokes will be stronger than ever, according to game director Yamamoto.
- It doesn't seem as though Maria is with the Xavists, though.
- Motonari is the same as usual with the rintou ringblade as his weapon and Nakahara Shigeru as his seiyuu. He's the same antisocial, distrustful, self-serving and devious guy we know and love. In Sengoku Basara 4, he's working for Ashikaga Yoshiteru behind the scenes in order to establish Aki as the centre of the land of Hinomoto (i.e. Japan).
- He still has strong ties to Motochika, and he's trying to steal that which is precious to him. (Note: Hahaha, someone on Twitter asked whether this was "his heart?")
- Update: Courtesy of G in the comments section of this blog, the game will include the usual Xavist references - even the legendary 'tactician', Sunday Mouri, can be expected to join in..!?
- Update: Sengoku Basara Magazine Vol. 4 will be dated Winter 2014 and feature Ishida Mitsunari in the main article and on the Mame Sengoku Basara rubber strap. The CD will be a continuation of the Yukimura/Sasuke talk from this issue, as expected. There will also be the first chapter of a new manga side story drawn by Yoshihara Motoki called Sengoku Basara 4: Bontenmaru-hen.
- Update: There's also an ad for a guidebook for the game called Shutsujin No Sho, released on 17th January 2014. It looks like a great buy with game information about all forty characters, gameplay advice, cast/creator interviews, a poster with anime-style artwork of the four leads from Production I.G. and Mame Sengoku Basara badges of Masamune, Sakon, Katsuie and Mitsunari. The same ad mentions that badges of Matabee, Yukimura, Ieyasu and Shikanosuke will be in the March issue of Dengeki Maoh (released 27th January 2014).
- Finally, some pictures. Motonari's profile page, Motonari's face, the actual magazine, close-up of the Ieyasu rubber strap.
- Ieyasu's departure from the Toyotomi army in Sengoku Basara 4 occurs without him attacking Hideyoshi.
- Maria is only using the name 'Maria' because she feels like it.
- Maria thinks Nagamasa should move from the Oda faction to the Ashikaga faction.
- The Ashikaga faction is very powerful and various commanders have aligned themselves there.
- Nagamasa's relationship with his sister gives insight into why he's always talking about justice.
- Tsuruhime and Shikanosuke will team up to look for Haru-sama (Amago Haruhisa).
- Motochika is tying up loose ends in Hinomoto and preparing himself before setting out on his journey. He will team up with someone too - but who? (Note: I suspect the recent video had a clue about this...)
- Motochika will ride on his Hyakki Fugaku fortress on the march screen.
- Tadakatsu has an event where he crashes mid-battle as a result of trying too hard, for Ieyasu's sake.
- The Maeda couple are the same as ever, and concerned about Katsuie's situation. There's a battle between the Toyotomi and Maeda forces.
- Keiji is someone who sees events through very human eyes. His role in the story is important this time, and this has something to do with it.
- Kanbee adores Matabee. Matabee considers Kanbee an idiot, but respects Hanbee. Hanbee has nothing to do with Kanbee.
- There's a sense that the atmosphere in the Toyotomi army has changed, and Gyoubu thinks that Sakon is rather disconcerting. Gyoubu and Hanbee mutually respect one another.
- Magoichi has a contract with 'a certain army'. After the story begins she makes a contract with someone else, too. She envisions a country led by mercenaries.
- Shingen's decision to leave his army to Yukimura in the storyline has something to do with Yoshiteru. Shingen has some links to another unannounced character (this could be singular or plural).
- Hideaki will get along well with Shikanosuke. His relationships with Motonari and Tenkai are the same as ever. He orders hot pot dishes such as miso nabe and soy nabe during battle.
- Mitsuhide is using the Tenkai persona to hide his identity from the Toyotomi and Ashikaga forces, so he appears in both forms.
- The person who writes the Deutsch Melon blog said that Motonari will be deceiving Tsuruhime.
- It's Magoichi's turn for a typo as her name was spelled incorrectly in the magazine.
- It's confirmed that there will be 32 playable characters. 'Most' of the major characters from Sengoku Basara 3 will have a significant role.
- Although they can't say anything yet, fans shouldn't get too worried about whether the other ninja (plural) will be appearing.
- And a few more images. Preview of the next issue, a look at an ominous scene with Katsuie and Oichi, Shikanosuke in an anime cutscene, Motonari with Sourin and (separately) with Shikanosuke.
- The caption for that ominous Katsuie/Oichi scene states that even though Katsuie dearly loves Oichi, there's a terrible development in the scene that has been shown. It doesn't look as though his feelings will reach her.
Of course, before then there's going to be another video event this Saturday! Thursday's Weekly Famitsu and Dengeki Playstation magazines reportedly include no new information.
Sengoku Basara 4 soundtrack CD preorder listing spotted
It looks as though the preorder details will be announced in the next few weeks after a listing on Amazon Japan appeared for the new game's soundtrack. According to the listing it will be a two-disc set released on 29th January 2014. The usual theme song single CDs should appear soon as well, so I'll keep checking for more news!
Update: And just a few hours later, this was confirmed by Capcom! The soundtrack will cost ¥3,360.
Update 2: VGM has tracked down some catalogue numbers for a Sengoku Basara 4 EP theme song single too (CD, CD+DVD). Both versions are slated for 12th February 2014.
More previews of the upcoming Sengoku Basara 4 manga serialisation
Manga artist Yoshihara Motoki has become more active on Twitter recently and begun posting rough sketches previewing the artwork which will be used in the official Sengoku Basara 4 manga. Reactions from fans so far seem good, and I personally think that Yoshihara's masculine designs will be a good fit for the series. The manga will begin its run in late December.
You can see Yoshihara's previews so far at these links: Ieyasu, Sasuke/Kanbee, Shikanosuke/Hanbee, Kojuurou/Motochika and Keiji/Yukimura. Preview pictures of Masamune, Katsuie and Sakon were shown before back when the manga was first announced, and this ad (close-up) shows the four leads fully inked.
Vote for Sengoku Basara X in Capcom's special 30th anniversary ranking
From 25th November 2013 until 14th January 2014, Capcom is running a poll to decide which of their arcade games is the most beloved. The lesser-known Sengoku Basara X fighting game is one of the options representing the year 2008.
Unfortunately I don't think that the game stands a chance in this particular poll given some of the illustrious competition. Still, fans of the game can show their support here! Just click the orange text to place your vote. Each person can only vote once per day.
Preorders open for the newest Sengoku Basara stage play DVD
Those who weren't able to attend the recent performances of Butai Sengoku Basara 3 Utage Two: Kyouou Tanjou x Shinen No Utage ('The Birth Of The Dark King x Feast Of The Abyss') will be able to catch up towards the end of March 2014 now that the DVD version has appeared for purchase. As usual, there's a ¥6,500 first press limited edition and a ¥6,000 regular edition as well as a jumbled assortment of leftover merchandise from the show venues. At the moment the listings only exist on the official Dais shop; Yesasia, Ami Ami and other regular import stores should open their preorders soon.
The first press limited editions often tend to sell out extremely quickly and become collectors items, so it's recommended to preorder early. The bonus item this time seems to be a photo booklet.
While I'm on the subject, stage play actor Odai Ryouhei tweeted this incredible picture today. I feel it deserves to be seen.
A mini Sengoku Basara 4 merchandise stall opens for business in Tokyo station
Capcom have announced that Tokyo Station's Character Street will be blessed with a Sengoku Basara 4 presence between 27th November and 11th December 2013 when a street wagon will be set up to sell merchandise relating to the new game. The location of the stall will be in the 'K-Spot' area near the station's Yaesu exit and it will be open daily from 10:00 until 20:30. 200 lucky customers who spend more than ¥2,000 at the stall will be given a special Sengoku Basara 4 postcard.
Update: Here's a snapshot of the wagon from @cr_sho_alp.
More classic Sengoku Basara One Coin Grande trading figures return
As well as the One Coin Grande figure collection Sengoku Basara ~Eiyuu Shuuketsu-hen~ ('~Gathering of Heroes Edition~') next year, Kotobukiya are planning to rerelease two of the older sets in their entirety for the benefit of fans who missed out before. The two they've chosen are the recoloured Sengoku Basara ~'Dyed Costume' Edition~ sets. The first will be released on 30th April 2014 while the second will come out on 30th June 2014. Each collection costs ¥6,300 and features ten mini warriors.
The old sets have been changing hands for ridiculous sums of money in recent months so these rereleases are welcome. Will we get a true fifth collection of figures soon to include the Sengoku Basara 4 cast - as well as the remainder of the missing Sengoku Basara 3 characters?
The rereleased sets can be preordered now from all good figure shops such as Ami Ami (1, 2), CD Japan (1, 2) and Yesasia (1, 2).
Update: Delivery date for the Butai Sengoku Basara Bushou Matsuri 2013 DVD slips
The official shop has announced that preorder customers will receive their copies of the DVD on 10th December 2013, not at the end of November as originally planned. The date for the general release which follows is unchanged.
Update 27/11/2013 (07:40): Added a few additional things to the soundtrack and Sengoku Basara Magazine notes.